From the 1860s until 1920s, Piper's Opera House attracted famous stars from Europe and the United States and is listed by the League of Historic Theaters. It is one of the most significant vintage theaters on the West Coast.
The opera house was condemned in 1920 and went dark for 20 years. In 1940 the family reopened the house as a museum. Significant restoration was done in the late 1960s by Louise Zimmer Driggs (Piper's great granddaughter). In the 1970s Mrs. Zimmer again reopened the opera house and maintained an active theater and summer concert series through the mid-1980s, at which time family finances and wear and tear on the building forced them to finally close the house.
In 1997 the Piper/Zimmer family sold the opera house to Piper's Opera House Programs, Inc., a nonprofit organization established to purchase the opera house. Archeological digs were funded by several sources, and restructuring of foundation support were conducted. In 1999 Piper's Opera House was again reopened as a working museum. Restoration of the grand old structure continues with grant funding, and public tours support the daily operations of the House.
Dates and Hours of Operations:
Off-season private or group tours are available if you call and make arrangements in advance. They may be coordinated with the Executive Director at 775.847.0433.
The Old Corner Bar
The Old Corner Bar reopened in 2010 as a separate entity from Piper's. They may be contacted at 775.847.4900 for days and hours of operation.
|Piper's Opera House, B and Union Streets, Virginia City, NV - "This institution is an equal opportunity provider"|